Friday, July 6, 2007

Octavarium

Well, my vacation is winding down.

For the first few days I was able to completely detach from my responsibilities. This is rare. I am usually consumed with thoughts about ministry, church, and theology. But this time around was different. I read some light material, as well as a boatload of graphic novels (comics, for the uninitiated). Perhaps this is due to my relative peace and contentment with my new church and position. Perhaps I am just maturing. Who knows.

Anyway, as the days wind down, I am beginning to be consumed again. Thankfully, now I am refreshed and ready to get back in the saddle. However, the initial reintegration into ministry can be hectic. Today my anxiety was extreme. In fact, the last few days I've been beginning to get antsy.

Well, my anxiety was lifted for a few moments as I watched Dream Theater's Score. Particularly, their performance of the "epic" Octavarium. During the final minutes I found myself in tears. Dream Theater's music moves me deeply - especially during the climax of some of their epics - Octavarium being one of my all-time favorites.

Anyway, I realized again how deeply music moves me. It took away my anxieties for a moment. It touched my soul. It made me rest in beauty. By doing that, it became a sacrament of the divine.

I thank God for Dream Theater!

Behold...

1 comment:

Bob Robinson said...

I love all the Prog-Rock allusions in this part of Octavarium, including Genesis' "Supper's Ready" and "Cinema Show," The Beatle's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and Spock's Beard's "Day for Night."